Monday, January 31, 2011

Abide in me, and I in you...

God has already began to work here in Cape Town!! It’s such a blessing to be surrounded by amazing people who love the Lord and believe that He is at work! We were given some info about the girls that Michele and I would be working with over the next several weeks! Can I just say that these girls are in some tough places in life! Girls struggling from the affects of rape, abuse, neglect, drugs, alcohol, poverty.. You name it! These girls have very little support of anything positive. Many of them seek out support and the only place to find it for them is gangs! Our girls have been in gangs, dated guys who were in gangs, have parents who have gang participation. As we sat and learned of some of the details of these girls, my heart began to break! I can’t imagine living a life, everyday not knowing what will happen. Will I get beaten today? Will I get raped? It’s sad! These girls are to the point that this is life and they say these things do not phase them! My heart breaks for them! I ask that you began to pray for them! Pray that God would use us for His kingdom! I was thinking in prayer meeting the other day, “God what do I have to offer them?” What can I do for them? He quickly reminded me that I have nothing to offer them of myself! If I go in my strength, I have nothing!! There is no way that I can help them, but IN HIM is when I have something to offer!  Jesus says in John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” Jesus goes on to say later than when we abide in Him, ask whatever we wish and it will be done for you. God has so reminded me through this whole chapter that when I am abiding in Him that nothing is too big! He can take the biggest of all and simply do what He wants with it! Pray that God would use me in these girls’ lives! Pray that I would be open to His spirit and that He would lead me in the way of His desire!  I have nothing to offer these girls but the gift of restoration and reconciliation through one and only Redeemer, Jesus Christ!

I also ask you to pray that I would consistently be filling myself with God’s word and spirit! Pray that I would not get distracted or lazy! Pray for strength and courage as I begin to work with them!

On Monday or Tuesday, I will be meeting this girls for the first time! Pray that hearts would be open and receptive! Pray that we would have good and easy connections with these girls! That they would be open to meeting us! Pray for excitement! Pray that they would know we are there because we love them, not to acknowledge, once again, that they are in hard places in life, but that they would be excited for what we may bring to them.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support!

So long for now from the broken city that God wants to restore!!

1 comment:

  1. Were hearts open and receptive? I want to know! Sweeet Tash, I'm praying for you friend.
    Psalm 10:17

    You are experiencing God's heart for these people...bless you on your journey!
    --Love,
    Missy ;)

    ReplyDelete